Today, I rushed home from work and went to my polling location to vote for State Representatives. I swear, when I am older, I am definitely going to be one of the ladies who volunteers at those things. They were having a blast. I would bring baked goods to share. (I didn’t see any baked goods).
Usually I stop at the grocery store on the way home from work, but today I decided not to, and to “just wing it”; challenge myself to create something from what I had in stock at the house. And this is what I came up with.
- 1 jar specialty salsa (mild, medium or hot, based on preference)
- 1 can black beans, partially drained
- 6 pastured eggs
- 3-6 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 lime, quartered
- small handful of cilantro
- handful of corn tortilla chips (optional)
- one avocado, sliced (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet with tight fitting lid, turn heat to medium and bring salsa to a boil.
- Stir in beans and some bean liquid, and bring to a low simmer.
- Carefully crack the eggs evenly spaced throughout the beans.
- Cover with lid and cook just until whites are firm (yolks will still be runny).
- Microwave 1-2 tortillas per person, separated by paper towel for 20 seconds or so.
- Lay down tortillas and scoop two eggs and accompanying bean/salsa mixture onto each plate.
- Garnish with avocado and cilantro.
- Serve with a lime wedge and a handful of tortilla chips.
- Grind black pepper onto the eggs.
- Serve and enjoy – for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
Huevos Rancheros is a great recipe to have in your arsenal; it can be thrown together at a moment’s notice with mostly stock items. Hopefully now you can add it to yours!