I am more of a savoury girl than a sweet one. I would choose sushi over a cookie, or beef jerky over a brownie almost every day (chocolate wins out when I am on my period). BUT THESE MAGICAL BLONDIES ARE A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH. The main ingredients are chickpeas and peanut butter, blended with honey and chocolate chips. One could argue that they are the perfect balance of savoury and sweet.
It is important that you make them with the highest quality of ingredients. No JIF peanut butter, no 2.99 “honey” bears, please. Please. Since they are not exactly inexpensive to make, I usually reserve them for intimate potlucks or small family gatherings (or just to keep around the house for Grant and I).
Kayla’s Chickpea Blondies
- coconut oil cooking spray
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup of natural peanut butter
- 2/3 cup of real honey
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 T genuine vanilla extract
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350* and spray a 13 x 9 x 2 pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in food processor.
- Fold in chocolate chips and spread most of the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a separate cupcake tin, fill 3-5 cups with batter to bake separately (this way you can taste one before the party, and have more waiting for you afterwards).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Note: To make vegan, leave out the eggs (or replace with flax eggs), replace the honey with maple syrup, and use vegan chocolate chips.
Bring these to your next potluck, and bring a few copies of the recipe to pass around 🙂
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen