It’s been too cold lately & all I want is chili! Dirty Bastard Chipotle Chili to be exact.
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any colour), seeded, and diced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey from a local farm
- 2 1/2 T chili powder
- 1 1/2 t sea salt
- 3 t ground cumin
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t dried basil
- 1 bottle of Founders’ Dirty Bastard Ale (or other dark beer if not available)
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 28 oz free range chicken broth
- 2 cans of beans, rinsed and drained (pinto, kidney, black, navy, cannellini, great northern)
- First, brown your meat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add your onion, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Add diced bell pepper and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add chipotle pepper and garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add browned beef or turkey, your spices, and then the beer, and simmer about 2 minutes.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and next three ingredients.
- Bring to a low boil, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Crack open another Dirty Bastard and sip thoughtfully.
- Add beans, stir, and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheese if desired, and serve with a slice of Everyday Crusty Bread.
This recipe makes quite a large batch, so feel free to have some friends over for some snowed-in crafts or board games. Warning: do not go to sleep or take a nap immediately after eating this chili! You will get heartburn. 😉 Give this chili recipe a try and let me know how you like it!