I love dinners that are practically all vegetables, yet have enough different colours, textures and tastes where you might not even notice. You might even say: “it has meal appeal out the wazoo!” And did I mention it’s quick? I got off work at 4:30 and have already swung by the post office and bank, stopped at the grocery store for my ingredients, made dinner, did the dishes AND wrote this blog entry and it is only 7:00pm.
Easy Acorn Squash with Mushrooms & Roasted Onions
- 1 acorn squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T fresh thyme
- 1 T fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 475º
- Toss squash and onion pieces with EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast on an even layer for 15-18 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet on medium heat, add EVOO, your chopped mushrooms, garlic and thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms are tender (adding a splash of balsamic vinegar halfway through cooking), then turn heat to warm and add parmesan and parsley.
- Arrange squash and onion pieces in a radial manner, add mushroom/parmesan mixture on top, and serve immediately!