- 1 lb ground turkey (from a local farm)
- 2 granny smith apples, 1 peeled and both chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of free range chicken broth
- 1 cup of bock beer (TJ’s Josephsbrau Heller Bock or Shiner or any other beer you fancy, really)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 can of beans, any variety (I use Kroger’s tri-bean blend)
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- 1 loaf of Everyday Crusty Bread, for serving
- Add a bit of EVOO to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add your ground turkey, peeled chopped apple, diced onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add garlic, chipotle peppers, chili powder and cumin, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, beer, cinnamon stick, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes, adding the beans in during the last minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick, scoop into bowls, top with raw chopped granny smith apple, shredded cheddar cheese and serve with a slice of homemade bread.
*Tip: I buy cans of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, throw the whole thing into the food processor, and puree it smooth. I store it in my fridge, practically indefinitely (well let’s just say, I use it before it goes bad). I use approximately 1 T for every diced chipotle in adobo called for in a recipe.
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats!