This is an appetizer I bring to many a potluck. It is so easy to throw together, having only 3 ingredients. Today’s potluck is a block party on my street, the Vester Festifall. We will be carving pumpkins, jumping on a bounce house, drinking hot toddies, and listening to a collaborative playlist of Halloween music.
Eliza is not enthused.
Yesterday, my neighbor Eliza and I made posters for the event. She is an absolute doll. Now, onto the recipe.
Goat Cheese, Pesto & Red Pepper Dip
- goat cheese log
- jar of pesto (home made or store bought)
- red pepper(s)
- Preheat oven to 325º
- Spread the pesto over the bottom of a baking dish.
- Chop up the goat cheese and arrange it down the middle.
- Dice your red pepper(s) and place them along the sides.
- Bake for 15-30 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite crackers, pita chips, or baguette slices.
Note: You can either make this in a smaller baking dish, with a small goat cheese log, a small jar of pesto, and one red pepper. Today, however, I am using a monster cheese log, a lot of pesto and 2 red peppers.
In the oven, the pesto will sautée the pepper, and the cheese will melt. Yum yum yum! What a gorgeous Fall day for a block party. Gotta go!
Recipe source: The Polohouse
This is a fantastic quick, simple recipe to have in your arsenal. In a pinch, grab some sausage and brussels sprouts on your way home from work and you can have a delicious dinner on the table in no time. I almost always have pesto, parmesan, garlic and a variety of whole wheat pastas in stock at home. One time, the store had no brussels sprouts, so I roasted up some zucchini “coins” instead. That was okay, but nothing like the brussels sprouts.
Pesto Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Apple Chicken Sausage
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 t each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12-16 oz whole wheat orecchiette or Tinykada brown rice pasta or pasta of choice (I use 14 oz)
- 4 chicken & apple sausage links, sliced medium (or any other sausage that you like, just make sure you recognize all the ingredients on the label)
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup pesto (I never dirty a measuring cup, just spoon in however much you prefer)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Slice brussels sprouts, and add them to a bowl with 2 T EVOO and the salt and pepper. Mix gently and spread them out on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until sprouts are tender and crispys are crispy.
- Cook your pasta according to package directions while slicing your garlic and sausage links.
- When pasta is cooked, add it to a large bowl with the pesto, parmesan, and the finished brussels sprouts.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 T of olive oil over medium-high heat and cook your sausage links until they are browned. During the last minute of cooking, add in the garlic.
- Add your garlic and sausage to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, stir together, and then serve!
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven