- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 bulb of fennel plus herby tops
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T fresh minced rosemary
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 bunch of kale, torn
- 1 package italian chicken/turkey sausage (from a local farm or al fresco brand), cut into coins
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shaved parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Halve and de-seed your spaghetti squash. Brush with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Bake, cut side up, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, dice up your onion, pepper, and thinly slice an equal amount of fennel. Reserve the herby tops in a small bowl for serving.
- Mince your garlic and rosemary, and put them aside in a separate bowl.
- Heat some EVOO on medium heat in a large pan, and sautée the onion, pepper and fennel bulb pieces.
- When they are softened, add in the garlic, rosemary and kale, and cook until fragrant and kale is wilted.
- Remove this mixture from the pan, and place in a large bowl. Squeeze one half of the lemon on top, and add your sunflower seeds.
- In the same pan, add a bit more EVOO and cook your sausage coins. Add these to the bowl once browned.
- When the squash is done, use 2 forks to pull it apart. Squeeze the second half of the lemon on top, and then incorporate into the rest of the ingredients.
- To serve, scoop mixture into bowls, and add parmesan cheese and fennel herby tops.