“Not Your Mama’s Pasta Salad”
- 1 cup uncooked Delallo organic whole wheat orzo
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 t dijon mustard
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil, divided
- big handful of kale, torn and stems removed
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta according to package directions.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all other ingredients except kale and 1 T olive oil.
- When the pasta is done cooking, strain it and add it to the bowl.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet with lid. Fry/steam your kale until it both wilts and becomes slightly charred.
- Add the kale to the bowl and season to taste!
This is a great combination of textures and flavours. You can subsitute rice, quinoa, farro or israeli couscous for the pasta if you’d like. I like Delallo organic whole wheat pastas because they have only one ingredient.
This is a fantastic quick, simple recipe to have in your arsenal. In a pinch, grab some sausage and brussels sprouts on your way home from work and you can have a delicious dinner on the table in no time. I almost always have pesto, parmesan, garlic and a variety of whole wheat pastas in stock at home. One time, the store had no brussels sprouts, so I roasted up some zucchini “coins” instead. That was okay, but nothing like the brussels sprouts.
Pesto Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Apple Chicken Sausage
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 t each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12-16 oz whole wheat orecchiette or Tinykada brown rice pasta or pasta of choice (I use 14 oz)
- 4 chicken & apple sausage links, sliced medium (or any other sausage that you like, just make sure you recognize all the ingredients on the label)
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup pesto (I never dirty a measuring cup, just spoon in however much you prefer)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Slice brussels sprouts, and add them to a bowl with 2 T EVOO and the salt and pepper. Mix gently and spread them out on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until sprouts are tender and crispys are crispy.
- Cook your pasta according to package directions while slicing your garlic and sausage links.
- When pasta is cooked, add it to a large bowl with the pesto, parmesan, and the finished brussels sprouts.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 T of olive oil over medium-high heat and cook your sausage links until they are browned. During the last minute of cooking, add in the garlic.
- Add your garlic and sausage to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, stir together, and then serve!
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven